Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

On 16 Oct 2002, Frank Knobbe wrote:

Not for inbound connections, but doesn't a stateful firewall prevent
non-legit outbound connections? If the firewall protecting a web server

Not really...

were stateless (read packet filter), the web server could establish
connections to the outside with a source port of 80, and a backdoor
would be able to connect to its master. However, if state is kept, and
only inbound connections to port 80 are allowed, then the backdoor can
not establish a connection to the outside using source port 80.

Outbound non-ack packets would stop this for a Web server, and if the
trojan is able to bind() to port 80 and service inbound requests (not that
it's not possible) without fooling the HTTP daemon, then methinks
filtering is the least of your problems.

To me it seems that stateless access control only protects my side from
incoming traffic, but I also want to enforce access control on outbound
traffic. In order to distinquish between a valid response, and a new
connection, isn't state helpful?

It can be, but potentially it can be a problem too- state tables can fill
up, where a stateless filter doesn't have that issue.

I understand that I could filter any packets from the web server (in
above example) by denying packets with SYN flag set, so maybe above rant
is only valid for UDP. But in general I believe state is useful in
access control. Or am I way off?

I find it slightly useful for UDP, but overall think the added complexity
doesn't bring much in the way of protection if you carefully design your
architecture.

The performance information that this thread has started IS interesting,
and it's started me wondering about the whole "filter on a router vs.
firewall" thing again.

Thanks,

Paul