Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:23:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Daniel Hartmeier wrote:

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 09:36:06AM -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

If you're hosting public resources behind the same firewall that's
protecting everything else in your enterprise, you've probably made a
questionable architectural decision.  If you're keeping state on say
inbound SMTP traffic, the question is "Why?"  If the 'Net as a whole can
connect to something, the state itself isn't going to do much good.  If
you're trying to rewrite sequence numbers because of a host that talks to
the public with high predeictability, again you're probably made a
questionable architectural decision.

Keeping state can have performance benefits. Depending on your rule set,
associating a packet with a state entry is cheaper than evaluating the
rules. Keeping state does not 'just' increase the quality of filter
decisions.

Ok, I can see that if you're handling less stateful entries than you have
rules, but with good rule ordering, or a busy site, I'm not sure it's a
gimme.  Do you have any way to measure which is better, or threashold
information?

Public-talking hosts should be protectable with simple non-stateful packet
filtering rules- *especially* those which allow the untrusted side to
initiate connections.

In my experience, allowing to specify a maximum for the number of states
created by a filter rule is very useful in this case (if you want to
keep state on all connections, and everything passes through the same
firewall). While an attacker can exhaust the individual maxima for
incoming connections to different services, other kinds of connections
(like outgoing connections, or connections the attacker can't establish)
are not affected.

If you can limit the connection rate- I've never been in a position where
that was overly necessary- I kept Web servers away from firewalls behind
screening routers, and tuned the stack of my SMTP gateway to handle
whatever it could without dropping legitimate connections- you could rate
limit services with QoS as well- that just moves the issue from the
stateful filter and its buffers to the router's buffers though.  Unless
you can just reject the traffic.

Rate limiting is an interesting application of a state engine though, and
certainly one I hadn't thought about much.  The issue here however is that
rate limiting creates a DoS window.

How likely is an exhaustion attack which doesn't turn into a complete
flood which brings down the other services?

I think for non-malicious stuff, rate limiting by state may be
interesting, but I think in the face of a malicious attack, it's probably
ultimately less useful than it seems on the surface (assuming a
relatively normal architecture, and not a hydra of connections and
address spaces.)

Paul