Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363 (fwd)

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:55:20 +0200

"Daniel Hartmeier" wrote:

I think most people (falsely) assume that filtering statelessly is
faster with their rule sets. Even simple real-life filter policies put
create less load on the firewall when state is being kept.

Just to corroborate: I agree 100% with this.

In my experience (our stuff), ruleset lookup hits on stateless packet
forwarding rules at the _very top_ of the ruleset is comparable to
keeping state.

Anything below the very top will start showing differences, and
for someone that needs "maximum throughput", hits on rules 100+
can be "painful".

We should have PDFs that show the exact ratios for our gear lying around
here somewhere, but people have left for the day and I can't seem to
find them. :/

Of course, there's also the issue of establishing new sessions.
If you're opening and tearing down sessions at a fearful ratio
(tens of thousands of states per second), you might be better off
(if security allows it) to have maybe a dozen or so stateless
packet packet forwarding rules at the top of the ruleset.

Of course, with stateless filtering rules, you'll lose things like:
- SYN flood protection
- TCP ISN randomization
- LOGGING!

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden

"Senex semper diu dormit"