Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363 (fwd)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:52:41 -0400 (EDT)

[Forwarded with Daniel's permission]

I'm all in favor of real data, especially when it overrides dogma.  In
this case, I'm guilty of just accepting the dogma that packet filtering
rules and state table rules should take about as long to go through as one
another and therefore it's a numbers game.  Daniel's data says (at least
for the test set) otherwise.  This is much more interesting to me than the
usual "performance" test conversations that come up around firewalls.

Paul