Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re:Firewall Utilization

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:27:36 -0400

Joe,

Hmm.

After working with a few different companies firewalls, I have found
that most are under utilized and often less expensive models could of
sufficed.

So are you saying that most people should buy smaller, less powerful, less capable, less expensive Firewalls? If you are lucky and you never get probed or hacked you don't need a Firewall at all. Right?

Architecturally, shouldn't the Firewall be a part of your overall network design and thus specified based on a wide variety of factors (more than just average CPU and memory utilization)? If your Firewall administers policy between a T-1 line and a 10/100 switch then you don't need GigE interfaces. No?

I don't know if I see your point here?  Where is this going?

Liberty for All,

Brian