Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW: Hunt for VPN devices

From: Scot Hartman <shartman () inflow com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:10:20 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Scot Hartman
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 6:53 PM
To: 'Paul D. Robertson'
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Hunt for VPN devices

Paul,

Sure, Jeff responded with...

 Scot:

 Many thanks - I'll certainly take a look at that list if you'll send it.

 Not sure what happened to the marketplace, I realize there were many
 acquisitions, and I suspect the market moved a little too slow to keep
VPN
 only companies in business.

 Lots of folks are mentioning Nortel Contivity - I'll have to look into
it.
 Hate the idea of an 'integrated' box in the environment I'm going to
 recommend this into, as I know in the back of my mind that the FW
 functionality won't be left alone.  "If you have a toy, you have to play
 with it" syndrome...

 Thanks.

Here's a list I sent to Jeff of some initial numbers and prices I had dug
up.

As I told him,..

I was primarily looking for a low-cost appliance to provide dedicated VPN at
at least T-1 speeds.  (I threw in Linksys and a couple others for hahas
because I just KNEW I'd be asked later by someone in Marketing if I'd
considered a Linksys since it's only $100.  Now I can say, "Why, yes I did.)

These are *rough*.  I dug these up mostly from Vendor documentation.  Some I
had to resort to online comparisons, speaking with SEs, etc.

Scot

======

                VPN Product Review

                                                        Throughput (in Mbps)

Manufacturer    Model     IPs           3DES    Cleartext       Tunnels
source
=============== =====     ====  ====    =========       ========
====================
Netscreen               5-XP      10?           13.00     20.00 10
Netscreen Doc
Netscreen               5-XT      10?           20.00     70.00 10+  ??
Netscreen Doc
Checkpoint              S-Box   10/25   3.00      20.00 10              CP
SE
Cisco                   PIX 501 10              3.00      10.00 5
Cisco Doc
Cisco                   PIX 506  U              16.00     20.00 25
Cisco Doc
Cisco                   Rtr 806  U              0.30       9.00 1?
Cisco QA
Sonic Wall              Tele3 SP 5              20.00     75.00 5
SonicWall
Sonic Wall              SOHO3   10-U            20.00     75.00 10
SonicWall
Watch Guard     FireB   V10     10/25           20.00     75.00 10
WatchGuard
Symantec                100 R     U             4.00      16.00 10+?
Symantec
GNAT                    RoboX   10              2.00      20.00 10
GTA Document
Linksys         CableRtr/VPN    0.10       0.30 1               Cisco
QA,independent

These things go roughly for list:

Netscreen 5-XP          $500-$100  (depending on user license, 10 or unlim)
Netscreen 5-XT          $700-$1200 (depending on user license, 10 or unlim)
Checkpoint S-box                $600            (10 IPs)
Cisco PIX 501           $700            (10 IPs)
Cisco PIX 506/w 3DES    $2000           Pricier
Cisco 806 Router                $800            need fw features & 3DES
Sonic Wall Tele3                $500            5 users
Sonic Wall SOHO3                $700            10 users
WatchGuard Firebox v10  $600            10 users
Symantec                        $500            No user limit
GNAT RoboX                      $1000           10 user
Linksys                 $100    (buy two so you'll have one when it crashes
at 2AM.
                                                 Great home box on the
cheap.  Wouldn't want to
                                                        carry pager support