Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Hunt for VPN devices

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:58:20 -0400 (EDT)

Useful links to this thread might well be <watch for wrapping>:

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/ipsec/certification/certified_products/index.shtml

Tina Bird's site has moved;

http://vpn.shmoo.com/

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Scot Hartman wrote:

Jeff,

I'm on the same hunt but not seeing any dedicated appliances left.
We currently use several Nokia CryptoClusters as dedicated appliances
but they are end-of-life.  I remember when we first started using
them, there were several niche appliances available.  Most have
closed shop.

However, the prices on some of the firewall/vpn appliances have
come down enough to where you could just use them for your VPN.
And they have some FW functionality to greater or lesser degree
if needed.

There are probably 10 appliance options out there with respectable
IPSec performance (so they claim, still need to put them in a lab)
for fairly inexpensive ($500 - $1000).

I've got a list of the ones I've dug up, with their claimed numbers
and prices if you want me to send them to you.

Scot