Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Administrivia and spam rate -

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:22:37 -0500

I'm not sure what's going on out there but the spam rate has
increased dramatically in the last few weeks. :( Of 35 messages
in today's inbox, all but 3 were spam. :(

Since I've got your attention, let me remind you of some
administrivia:
        - Please do not post in HTML or MIME. I will reject such
        messages with a request to re-post them in plain text. The
        only non-plain text that I'll let through is PGP signatures.
        - If I get something in a character set that I can't read or
        a language I can't read (I read English, French, some German,
        and a bit of Latin) I'll discard the message on the assumption
        that it is spam. A huge amount of incoming spam is from yahoo.kr
        and is unreadable.
        - Please be considerate about trimming included text in replies.
        Try to keep only included text that is relevant to the topic of
        discussion. I won't police this issue carefully, but I may reject
        messages in the form of:
                <100 lines of included text>
                <one line witty comment>
        - If I get bounces from your mailbox I will unsubscribe you,
        even if it is a transient error. Why? I have no idea if it
        is a transient error and if I wait I'll just have more
        bounces to deal with. If you find yourself no longer getting
        firewall-wizards that's probably what happened. See below...

        - The list interface is at:
        and if you want to edit your options or make sure you're
        subscribed there is a form for doing so at the bottom.

mjr.
---
Marcus J. Ranum                 Chief Technology Officer
http://www.ranum.com            NFR Security, Inc.
Woodbine, Maryland              http://www.nfr.com
                                Rockville, Maryland