Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Will data security technology benefit from Homeland Security?

From: "Ames, Neil" <NAmes () anteon com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:04:43 -0400

T,
        The biggest problems are with managing compartmentalization of
data--not sharing, or being able to share without literally destroying
sources--and with managing accuracy of data.  Think about keeping personal
secrets, and how someone with a secret will know who leaked a secret if they
only told one person.  You have to control who knows the sensitive stuff.
Another big problem is maintaining integrity of data--keeping low quality
information from mixing with high-quality data.  Think about all of the
wrong information that you can get, like gossip, newsgroups, wherever--and
how hard it can be to tell the truth in the gossip from the pure
fabrications.  A fancy computer will just get you the wrong answer to
fourteen significant digits if you haven't figured out the policy and
procedure stuff that leads to data in your system.  I don't work in that
field, but have read enough about the problems...

Thank you,

Fritz