Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comments?

From: John Adams <jna-dated-1028233791.3d0554 () retina net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 16:29:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Stephane Nasdrovisky wrote:

Unfortunatly, it's hard to believe the nokia IP120 is working well. There are
complaints on the phoneboy's fw1-wizard mailinglist about this device. It may
work with older version of the software but should be avoided for the latest
firewall-1 version.

With Checkpoint (as with PIX), You just can't run the latest revisions of
their code. In fact, I'd like to find one major backbone provider who runs
the latest revision of IOS. It simply doesn't happen.

It is especially true if you want some 'advance' features such as vpn.

I can't vouch for the IP120's ability to properly run VPN. We ran all of
our VPN through the IP120 using Cisco products. Checkpoint FW-1 has a
terrible VPN implementation and couldn't provide the encryption functions
that we needed.

In one word, the nokia IP120 is a no go for professionals that do not want
nightmares.

I think many "professionals" are still using the IP120 without issue, but
with certain limitations.

--john