Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comments?

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:28:20 -0400

--On Friday, July 26, 2002 4:57 PM -0700 "Erik M. Bataller" <uhguhg () yahoo com> wrote:

We are currently evaluating several remote firewall
devices for broadband usage:

   SonicWall TZ
   PIX 501
   Intrusions PDS 1150
   Netscreen

Personally, I don't like the PIX. It has a slew of issues, and Cisco isn't doing a very good job of supporting the platform.

I have no experience with SonicWall or Intrusions PDS.

Netscreen is a great firewall. An important feature for you is that is supports "phone home" configuration, so you can centrally manage (configs and firmware) them even if they use DHCP. Their little boxes also support real routing protocols, and you can get one with a serial port for dial backup. The 5XP/5XT only have 2 security zones. The 25 has 4.

--
Carson