Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Firewalls breaking stuff: [Was re: fwtk]

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:30:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Charles W. Swiger wrote:

I agree that the two are very distinct things.  Perhaps we're simply
disagreeing about how common the requirement to provide remote mail access
is...?

I believe that we are.

We all draw from past experiences; almost every company I've worked with
has wanted remote mail access (90% plus), but only 25% or so wanted to go
to a VPN or equivalent, although the latter is becoming more common
nowadays.

I've been staunchly anti-VPN for a good number of years so far, and I
can't say that my experiences aren't that >90% of places are looking at,
deploying or already have some sort of VPN access.

It's true that the mail relay/reader box (or boxes; they don't have to be
the same) has to be able to authenticate users, and you have to maintain
the list as people join and leave.

This would be true of any mail system (even one used internally), however.

There's a distinct difference between boxes MUAs connect to and gateways
that the entire world might connect to- again we get to MJR's point about
complexity and security systems.

Now people will send and receive mail on machines that
the company doesn't own which may be trojaned...

Why wouldn't the company own their machines?

You had the mail going out to an ISP-run MX box- I'm assuming the company
doesn't own the ISP (farily typical of organizations which aren't part of
a state or local government in my experience.)

If you want to provide complete internal access from a fixed remote
location, then a VPN is a great solution.  If you only want to provide
email access from random rather than predetermined remote locations, VPNs
seem less well suited.

Given that a lot of VPN solutions stop external connectivity to the box
hitting the trusted service, I disagree.

Would plain text be better under any circumstances?  (If so, why?)

Plain text is better under circumstances where you're doing things with
the data that don't have the ability to get the key, where local legal
requirements make encryption prohibitive, where you want someone to access
the data,

These requirements you mention are orthogonal to the issue of whether
encrypted passwords are better than plain text passwords from the
standpoint of security.

Admittedly a very corner case, but not from an information warfare
perspective- disinformation is as much a part of security in some realms
as information.

FEATURE(`nocanonify') and relay email to your ISP's mailserver rather
than
doing DNS lookups locally?

That would require all mail to be relayed, kind of taking away the value
of the TLS unless you're in an organization that only has one or two
domains- if the intent is for employees to be able to mail to other
employees, the privacy is probably as important as the authentication, no?

Why would you do that?  Of course you wouldn't relay internal mail outside!

I spent a lot of the last few years working at or with very large
companies, where figuring out what was "internal" wasn't trivial even
based on address- that's why adding an ISP's mailserver is to me not a
good option- it's been my experience that it's easier to have mail
intercepted at an ISPs server than it is off a backbone link.

However, all Internet-bound email is going to be relayed outside in any
event, thus your mailserver(s) can avoid performing DNS lookups by handing
the mail to the ISP's mailserver(s), instead.

Would that all the networks I inherited over there years  were so simply
crafted.

Paul