Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Firewalls breaking stuff: [Was re: fwtk]

From: "Charles W. Swiger" <chuck () codefab com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:57:50 -0400

On Saturday, July 20, 2002, at 11:01  AM, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Charles Swiger wrote:
Encryption isn't a magic bullet.  If you can not exchange mail with the
outside world at all, of course you don't run an MTA, any more than you
would run any other service that wasn't necessary.

You're going from "external mail at all" to "Relay and read mail
externally"- which are two very distinct things with signifcantly
different risk profiles.

I agree that the two are very distinct things. Perhaps we're simply disagreeing about how common the requirement to provide remote mail access is...?

However, I'm not "suddenly" providing remote access; the requirement for
employees to be able to remotely access email is quite a bit more common
at most organizations than the reverse.  Given that as a functional
requirement for a "working" network, I'd prefer to provide these services
in a way that's more secure rather than less secure.

Actually, remote mail only isn't all that common,

We all draw from past experiences; almost every company I've worked with has wanted remote mail access (90% plus), but only 25% or so wanted to go to a VPN or equivalent, although the latter is becoming more common nowadays.

people don't tend to go for service level encryption versus VPN access. Remote access brings with it a number of issues that aren't there with local access, and there's an associated cost and risk with doing it. For instance now either your
mail relay/reader box has to hook into the current authentication scheme,
 or
have it's own.  If it has its own, then it's got to be maintained with
hires and fires.

It's true that the mail relay/reader box (or boxes; they don't have to be the same) has to be able to authenticate users, and you have to maintain the list as people join and leave.

This would be true of any mail system (even one used internally), however.

Now people will send and receive mail on machines that
the company doesn't own which may be trojaned...

Why wouldn't the company own their machines?

Also, the ability to relay mail is normally predicated by the ability to
read it, and if we want a cespool of insecurity, we should go to mail
client protocols.  That's a dependency chain that's best served with a
generic secure tunnel if it must be done at all, which negates the need
for a service level tunnel.

If you want to provide complete internal access from a fixed remote location, then a VPN is a great solution. If you only want to provide email access from random rather than predetermined remote locations, VPNs seem less well suited.

For people that use reusable passwords rather than S/Key or other one-time
password systems, are you claiming that SSL-based encryption is less
secure than plain text?

No, but I'm claiming that there's not much of an organizational gain to
providing service level encryption versus IP level generic
encryption if you must provide remote access.

Okay.

Would plain text be better under any circumstances?  (If so, why?)

Plain text is better under circumstances where you're doing things with
the data that don't have the ability to get the key, where local legal
requirements make encryption prohibitive, where you want someone to access
the data,

These requirements you mention are orthogonal to the issue of whether encrypted passwords are better than plain text passwords from the standpoint of security.

where the transport mechanism really *needs* the efficiency of
data compression (do a lot of satcom and you'll understand that point
painfully.)

A network connection with a large bandwidth times propogation delay cross-product has characteristics quite different from a LAN, sure.

FEATURE(`nocanonify') and relay email to your ISP's mailserver rather than
doing DNS lookups locally?

That would require all mail to be relayed, kind of taking away the value
of the TLS unless you're in an organization that only has one or two
domains- if the intent is for employees to be able to mail to other
employees, the privacy is probably as important as the authentication, no?

Why would you do that?  Of course you wouldn't relay internal mail outside!

However, all Internet-bound email is going to be relayed outside in any event, thus your mailserver(s) can avoid performing DNS lookups by handing the mail to the ISP's mailserver(s), instead.

-Chuck

Chuck Swiger | chuck () codefab com | All your packets are belong to us. -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
       "The human race's favorite method for being in control of the facts
        is to ignore them."  -Celia Green