Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet Rule Interpretation

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:49:38 -0500

Johann van Duyn wrote:
I am arguing with our network manager regarding the interpretation of
Gauntlet (on BSD Unix) rulesets. My knowledge of Gauntlet is not very deep,
but I can read, and I am sure that I am interpreting the rules correctly.

I'm not sure if I can accurately answer your question(s) because my
knowledge of Gauntlet is rather dated but I used to be pretty familiar
with that product...

The ruleset says NOTHING specific about SNMP traffic, either by proxy name
or by port number.

Right. The original Gauntlet didn't recognize the existence of SNMP at all.
It's such a disastrously bad protocol, from a security standpoint, that the
original designers of Gauntlet never thought anyone would want to let it
through a firewall at all! :)

However, some of our rules look like this:

        authenIP: permit-forward -if ef1 -proto * -srcaddr
a.b.c.d:255.255.255.255 -dstaddr w.x.y.z:255.255.255.255 -srcport *
-dstport *
        authenIP: permit-forward -if exp0 -proto * -dstaddr
a.b.c.d:255.255.255.255 -srcaddr w.x.y.z:255.255.255.255 -dstport *
-srcport *

Surely such a rule would let SNMP traffic from a.b.c.d to w.x.y.z and
vice-versa? Or am I missing something here?

Yeah, it looks like that, but I think that's the VPN layer stuff. AuthenIP is
authenticated; so it's acting as a tunnel for that traffic but I don't think it
will let through random Internet traffic including SNMP.

mjr.