Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: SCC buys Gauntlet

From: Roger Marquis <marquis () roble com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:57:10 -0800 (PST)

"Woeltje, Donald" <dwoeltje () sebh org> wrote:
If I were you, I'd quit complaining and just use what you feel best suits
your organization, as there is obviously no convincing you that you might be
wrong. Regardless, as for the rest of this, I could provide you with an
equally equipped, equally powerful, equally stable CISC-based computer (a
"PC") at one fourth to one fifth the cost of a similarly equipped Sun
computer (I know this because I've done it time and time again; I build them
myself out of only the highest quality parts on the market; I have just such
a system at home (along with my other five computers) that has been running
non-stop (except for hardware additions or OS upgrades) without a failure
for the past 10 years).

Not sure what provoked this rant but I can tell you why many of my
clients pay more for Sun than the free unixs (based on closed x86
chips).

#1 reason is source code control.  Linux admins are forced to spend
a fair amount debugging even the simplest things, like ping, that
don't work like they should.  I spent 30 minutes alone tracking
down and fixing all the broken links under /usr/lib in the last
RH7.2 install.  Slashdot had a post just today from one poor admin
who was downgrading to 2.2 and getting rid of RiserFS to avoid
losing any more data.

#2 is upgrades.  How long does RH support a release, a kernel, or
an app?  6 months?  A year?  I've seen Sun apps in daily use that
were compiled over 12 years ago, and are still supported.  A Solaris
installation can rely on well debugged patch clusters for 3 or 4
years.  By contrast I know FreeBSD admins who spent thousands of
their employers payroll dollars on upgrades because FreeBSD only
supports last 6 months' OS revisions (if that).  You might not hear
about the production servers hosed by cvsup introducing bugs but
there are a lot of them out there.  This all may be acceptable if
you're only hosting a few webservers or dialins and don't mind
hacking but it often skews the long term costs of maintaining a
Unix server away from the "free" *nix.

#3 serial consoles, don't run a datacenter without them.  Can't do
that with a PC BIOS.

I've got one at my desk (the very computer that I'm
using right now) that would kick my Ultra 10's butt and has all the features
that you've listed (features that my Ultra 10 doesn't even have in it);
UltraSCSI RAID (Level 5), triple power supplies, serial management
interface, dual 1GHz processors, 4 GB's of RAM, over 300 GB's of disk space,
Fibre Channel RAID (Level 5), hot swappable drives for both the Fibre
Channel RAID subsystem and the UltraSCSI RAID subsystem, a high-end video
card, MPEG-2 decoder card, sound card, fiber gigethernet NIC, multi-port
modem card (six 56K ports), a 21" Mitsubishi DiamondScan monitor, and a BEST
Fortress 1425 UPS.

Sounds like a fine machine, until it has to be upgraded.  It's also
the sort most experienced Unix admins would have to spend 40 to 80
hours putting together.  A similar Sun can be built in less than
half a day (at a higher initial cost but maintained with a fraction
of the ongoing labor).

The bottom line is than many linux-heads are in denial about the
capabilities of their code base and cannot be relied on for objective
information.  Sure there's a market for high-maintenance free
solutions, there's also a market for larger commercial solutions.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting