Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: recent disclosure debates

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:14:53 -0500 (EST)

This posting was pretty enlightening on the issue:

Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:37:08 -0800 (PST)
From: <mark_sala () yahoo com>
Subject: bind 8 info update regarding ISS
To: bugtraq () securityfocus com

Upfront, Like to recognize that ISS has been doing a
great job at finding very critical but obscure
vulnerabilities in popular services.  I'm guessing
that there has been alot of other security experts
that have audited the source code of Bind, SSH, etc
and overlooked the discrepencies that ISS picks up on.

Russ Cooper, the Surgeon General of TruSecure, blasted
ISS publicly on the Symantec Bugtraq mailing list with
an opinion on how ISS is irresponsible for not working
with the ISC to properly patch Bind and how they
unethically updated their own products.
http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/299751/2002-11-11/2002-11-17/0

Here's updated information that clears up whether ISS
was acting responsible and properly gave notice to the
ISC BIND organization.  Maybe Russ should give ISS an
apology for jumping to conclusions without waiting for
facts.

http://developers.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=44855&threshold=-1&commentsort=0&tid=172&mode=thread&cid=4653012

Re:Did ISS tell bind maintainers?

ISS and ISC worked together on this. ISS found the
vulns, ISC worked with the vendors, and both of us
worked with CERT and coordinated the announcements.

Paul Vixie
Chairman, ISC

Re:Did ISS tell bind maintainers?
by Florian Weimer (fw () deneb enyo de) on Tuesday
November 12, @06:43PM (#4655265)
(User #88405 Info | http://www.enyo.de/fw/)
Does anyone know if ISS did the right thing, or are
they being big doo-doo-heads?

In this case, ISS did not rush ahead. This was a
coordinated release. Of course, something went
horribly wrong, but I don't think ISS is to blame for
it (maybe they could have warned ISC that their
approach wouldn't work out, though).

http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/299873/2002-11-11/2002-11-17/0