Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Telnet dropped

From: Erick Mechler <emechler () techometer net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:25:22 -0800

:: internet for research. When I try to telnet from the client machine to
:: either the internet service or directly to the firewall, the telnet session
:: never opens. Just get a "Could not open a connection to 'ip address of
:: firewall'". Firewall log shows a telnet session accepted but nothing
:: further.

Do a packet dump on your client system and on your firewall to analyze the
TCP/23 traffic.  Make sure that you're getting replies from the remote
system, and if so, what kind of replies.  It's possible the remote system
could be sending TCP RSTs, implying that the remote system isn't listening
for telnet.  I assume you have FW-1 doing NAT for you as well?  You can
also make sure that those rules are correct by doing tcpdumps.

Cheers - Erick