Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE:Vulnerability Scanners ( was: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem )

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:18:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, B. Scott Harroff wrote:

Your opinion is its better to do nothing and let 100% get though then though
a combination of technology / process / policy that stops 95%?

No, it's my opinion[1] that it's _safer_ from a legal standpoint to do so.

I'm pretty sure that I saw yet another case in the last couple weeks on
some list somewhere (Cyberia perhaps) that hinged on this, though it may
have been in a presentation at a forensics conference I attended week
before last.  If I had a Lexus account, I'd 98% sure I'd be able to
produce actual case citations.

I think one would be better of showing "intent to protect and missing one
instance or two" than "doing nothing about a known problem".

Logic would work that way, unfortunately, the law doesn't seem to.

Paul
[1] I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on the 'Net, but I've had
extensive discussions about this with real lawyers in real business
environments.