Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: tcpdump on my firewall

From: "Ames, Neil" <NAmes () anteon com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:18:14 -0400

Three things come to mind:
1) What do the security policy, security guidelines, or security procedures
for your site say should or should not be on your firewall?
2) You want as little running on your firewall as possible.  The more code
that you have running on it the more vulnerable you are.
3) You can run tcpdump on another machine.  Dredge up a machine that nobody
wants on their desktop.  Get two while you're at it-so that you can watch
both sides of your firewall...

Thank you,

Fritz Ames