Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Consine FW

From: "Volker Tanger" <volker.tanger () discon de>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:31:41 +0100

Greetings!

Nimesh Vakharia wrote:

me.  Has anyone tested a high end firewall, proxy or stateful, on a 2ghz
quad processor servers decked out with memory?  It may give gigabit
throughput performance for all we know at this point.  I don't dispute

        One of our customers did try out a quad proc (440Mhz, i think) at
1 Gb RAM on a Sun E450(2Gig Nic) with Checkpoint. I think they barely got
around 60-80Mbps of thput out of the 1G. The packets were pure UDP
traffic (200 streams) and fw was configured with 20 FW rules. In
checkpoints defense, the admins were not very big on solaris and the
optimizations were a few things recommended on phoneboy.com. It'd be
interesting if see if people have had other experiences.

Unless they are running a (extremely high) number of security servers ("Resources") or VPN (though special Crypt cards arce cheaper) 2-3 of the 4 CPUs are a complete waste of money. Packet filtering is done in kernel - a single CPU task. Security servers and VPN tunnels can run on other CPUs, but the main load always is bound to one single CPU.

One trick is that the E450 has 6 separate PCI busses (some high/wide, some low/standard width IIRC)- so the Gig cards should be situated on different busses to avoid PCI bus saturation. A common PCI bus has 32bit@33MHz = 990 Mbit/s which is the equivalent of a Gig card run half dumplex. So seek one of the 64bit@33MHz or 32bit@66MHz or 64bit@66MHz PCI busses the E450 provides (sorry, I currently don't have the manuals at hand). And keep the PCI bus used by the Gig card free of other stuff.
This way you avoid the bus limit.

60-80 Mbit/s sound awfully alike to the throughput limit of a 100 mbit/s shared ethernet. Are you sure that there was no dumb switch involved on one of the testing sides? Sometimes - especially when routing broadcasts - switches are programmed to wait for the slowest interface...

Bye
        Volker

--

Volker Tanger  <volker.tanger () discon de>
 Wrangelstr. 100, 10997 Berlin, Germany