Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RE: Sniffing out a firewall problem

From: "Chiman" <chiman () hawaiian net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:58:13 -1000

Just a few points to consider in this, some will be obvious to a lot of
folks.

1.) In a switched environment, remember that a device on a single port won't
see broadcast packets on another
port.

2.) Someone mentioned looking at switch for colls, routers can also collect
logs, on the "backbone",
but be careful not to turn on too much logging, and killing the performance
of the router.

3.) lastly remember that when snooping from a unix box you won't see errs or
outflowing traffic that, *that* deivce
(the one doing the snooping) is creating.  snoop(1M), at least, looks
outward.