Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: Sniffing out a firewall problem

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 12:04:46 -0500 (EST)

Your earlier suggestion made it appear the NIC in question was probably
one of those on the firewall, which is why a number of folks have
suggested just taking the simple course of action and pulling the card and
replacing.  As has been suggested, some of the cable testers on the
market, and large sites should certainly have at least one of the higher
end cable testers available, can help track down and errantsegment or NIC
about as well as any sniffer, of course we used to use them in the days
when switches were not quite an issue yet, so, things might well be more
difficult in that arena these days, it's been a long while since I worked
in the area of cabeling and installs.  A sniffer was overkill in those
days, and brought out when other avenues could not locate the source of
the problem.  Of course a sniffer might well be my first choice tool for
something like this these days.   Remember, depending upon how segmented
and or switched your network, and how those switches <if it is a switched
network> are configured, it might well take some reconfigureing of
equipment and might well be an issue of sniffer placement to help resolve
this problem.  We often found it was a laptop issue, and could easily tell
it was so when collision levels were not always present and appeared only
during certain parts of the day when those folks with laptops came into
the office.  Also, looking at the desktop support trouble ticket requests
can quickly lead one to a source of such  problems, it's ost liekly the
machine and user in question are suffering connection issues due to their
broked NIC.  It's good to have an association with the folks in the
various IT departments just for the crop ups of such issues.  And, you
might get lucky and see something in the firewall logs that could help
point you in the proper direction of the problem source here, this would
be the first place one might look.  And, as always those windows
specific protocols are known for chattiness <netbeui/netbios> and oten run
up collision levels on segments.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne