Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Contract Rates & CISSP or not

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:09:15 -0800

Drew - Home wrote:

From: "Crispin Cowan" <crispin () wirex com>

In summary, I still look at CISSP's (and other certificates that don't start with "Bachelor's" or similar) as a negative mark, which I'm willing to overlook if the other factors are strong. I certainly will not pay extra for it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but I feel that a different perspective is in order. Personally, I got my CISSP because it often allows a higher billable rate for my employer, and for some less cluefull clients, gives a feeling of confidence. I did not get the CISSP
to prove my competence to my peers or myself, and I do not make
a big deal about having a CISSP.

I agree with that. Someone else said it here quite well: CISSP is a great qualifier for non-technical management to use in choosing an employee or a consultant.

But to say that having one makes me (or anyone) somehow less attractive... well, I've heard the same
about Ph.Ds  :)

Granted :-) Flippancy asside, it is actually true: there are jobs that you should not hire a PhD for. If a candidate has a PhD, you know not only that they've gone through a particular educational process, but also that they have a personality that inclines them to go through such a process. It is truly said that a PhD is clinical evidence of obsessive-compuslive disorder :-)

Anyone who makes a judgment, pro or con, based entirely on the presence or absence of a certification is patently narrow minded. People should be assessed based on their merits and the totality of their experience, not on some letters.

Also granted. But there are limits to the depth of investigation that can be invested in a candidate. At the resume' stage, the employer has little more than some acronyms and some heavily abstracted stories to go on, so you use what you've got. For some positions, CISSP and PhD are assets, and for others they are not.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.