Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: routing by interface on Solaris

From: Lance Spitzner <lance () spitzner net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:05:24 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Neil Buckley wrote:

I guess I view the ability to stop packets destined for my management
network a function of an upstream device closer to my hostile connections.
Performing it at the interface of the firewall may be a nice added defense,
but suggests that you have a single device performing many functions.

Sorry if I missed the hidden wisdom in Lance's first message, maybe he could
elaborate.

Dooh!

Didn't mean to cause this mis-communication.  My intent was to raise awareness
of a rather cool feature in Solaris8.  This feature (routing by interface) could
be applied to the security of managing firewalls.  Specifically, by disabling
routing on the management interface, this could be an additional layer in the
protection of the management network.

Nothing earth shattering here, just a usefull feature that I thought could
help.

lance