Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NSA coughs up secret TEMPEST specs ... posted on Cryptome

From: "Talisker" <Talisker () networkintrusion co uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:15:10 -0000

Not sure what this has to do with firewalls?

Firstly TEMPEST doesn't stand for anything, however as your rightly point
out some enterprising individuals have made some words fit quite well.  I
was a TEMPEST tester in a previous life.

As to the rest, it's not entirely accurate but fairly close, the exploitable
video signals mentioned aren't generated by changes in text on the monitor,
but more the fact that the refresh rate causes the same information to be
transmitted around 85 times each second, effectively continuously.  In
contrast the emanations from a keyboard are very hard to reconstitute
because you have to catch more of the signal, and can't afford to miss much.
The author is spot on regarding the health issue with monitors, EMC
regulations have indeed reduced electromagnetic emanations from monitors,
though these regulations haven't been extended to graphics cards which still
pump out information 85 times a second!  To that end LCD monitors offer
little extra protection over a traditional monitor.

I wrote a TEMPEST FAQ some time ago it's on my site under counter
eavesdropping, giving some guidelines on how to protect yourself and
assertain whether you are under threat, the wording is understandably a
little mushy, but I can't help that without getting into trouble.  The same
applies to the info above, It's nothing that someone who's into electronics
and RF couldn't point out.

Take care
Andy
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk
Talisker's Network Security Tools List
                    '''
                 (0 0)
  | The geek shall        |
  |  Inherit the earth     |
               |__|__|
                  || ||
              ooO Ooo
talisker () networkintrusion co uk

The opinions contained within this transmission are entirely my own, and do
not necessarily reflect those of my employer.