Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FreeS/WAN and PGPnet

From: Chris Cappuccio <chris () empnet com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:36:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Simeon Johnston wrote:

 | We have decided to put FreeS/WAN on the firewall instead of PoPToP on
 | another machine inside the network.  This uses IPSec instead of PPTP and is
 | supposed to be more secure.  I am wondering if anyone knows of any problems
 | with this.  I have already compiled the kernel with IPSec and am going to
 | test it out tonight.

Check out http://www.counterpane.com/ipsec.pdf

It talks about IPSec, and has an overview of its potential security and
flaws, but still concludes that it's better then the alternatives (PPTP, and
some others)

 | Any feedback about possible problems and/or possible solutions to the known
 | problems would be helpful.

This is well documented if you look around....

Check out sites like counterpane (and the counterpane labs link on their main
page) and check out other security sites which have this kind of info (maybe
www.securityfocus.com is a good start?? I don't know what good security sites
are out there these days...)