Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Good Router/Firewall Combo

From: kj <kj () indifference org>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:00:59 -0700

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 06:50:12PM -0700, Frank R. Boecherer wrote:
Steven:

I don't know how it compares to the rest of the units out there, but I've
been using the SonicWall router.  It has 2 ethernets and even a model that
has a DMZ.  It's not low cost like the Linksys, but it does have quite a bit
of control with a nice HTML interface.

There's also a VPN option (which costs more again, but it's available if you
want to expand).

The other product similar in price and capability appears to be the
WatchGuard though I haven't done anything with it.

I use the SonicWall at my office and for some of my small clients.

Frank

My experience with the Sonicwall is completely opposite. It hangs and needs a
reboot every few hours (currently this is the second one we have tried).
Sometimes that didn't even work and I full reconfiguration was needed (maybe
once a day). Nothing special was enabled, so full logs didn't shutdown the
machine and no filter rules were in place. All it was doing was acting as a
NAT to about 10 PCs, and acting as a dhcpd server. The web interface would
crash once in a while, thus crashing the SonicWall. After a few changes one
would need to reboot the SonicWall for the changes to take effect (what is
up with that!).

After about a week of that. I just took a P 150, with 32 megs of ram. Installed
OpenBSD 2.7 with ipf. Patched her up and ran dhcped. We have had no problems,
since then. I emailed the SonicWall support, and still no word (it's been about
a week).

Yes, their interface is nice, and there are some nice features about it. But I like
the damn thing to work first and foremost. The BSD solution gives us everything we
need and has been rock solid.

K.J.