Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: muliple firewall design

From: Magosányi Árpád <mag () bunuel tii matav hu>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:01:25 +0200

A levelezőm azt hiszi, hogy k c a következőeket írta:
[]
inet -- router -- FW -- DMZ -- FW -- internal net

firewalls would not be from the same vendor. where do
i put the dialin users for the best and most secure
fit ? into the dmz or off   a 3rd nic on the inside

I would put them on a separate leg of the inside firewall.
It directly comes from the domain separation principle
(separate systems should be separated), and if you think
a bit about the meaning and purpose of life and DMZ.

firewall. the dialin users are coming into a cisco
router and auth against a Radius server. we're a big
M$ shop except for all the important things like
firewalls and dns.
<offtopic>
Once upon a time we also have been an M$ shop. Maybe
the bosses on the upper levels think we are still one:)
</offtopic>
i'm looking to poke holes or throw some ideas around.
maybe we keep the single FW scheme and hang the remote
access users off a 4th nic on the firewall ? maybe.
but i'm not all to thrilled with that scenario.

Having more than 2 legs of a firewall is the outcome of
a cost-reduction transformation: you transform the
fw1-dmz-fw2 setup such that fw1=fw2.
But you don't have to do that for all costs:)

--
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból