Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Transparent NAT

From: "Michael C. Ibarra" <ibarra () hawk com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:08:11 -0400

Quoting cdschuler () home com:

Today I met with a VPN appliance manufacturer.  I was told that
there is a significant problem with NAT when there is a router
between the VPN appliance and the end user.  From what I'm told
the problem lies with the fact that both the VPN and the router are
conducting NAT between each other and therefore there needs to
be transparent NAT to alleviate this.  They don't have the software
patch yet.  Is there a patch for this on the software side rather than
purchasing their additional hardware to fix it?

Thank you, Cameron Schuler

Every router I know of that does NAT'ing, has the ability to
turn off this feature. Decide, NAT on the router or NAT on
your VPN appliance, turn one off, preferably, in your case,
turn it off on the router.

-mike

          The information contained in this message
           is not necessarily the opinion of Hawk
                   Technologies, Inc.