Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: shiva lanrover

From: miko () client-server co at
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:15:03 +0200

I suggest to place RAS-Server outside the firewall.
If you are using Shiva Lanrover the box is protected with several features as
username/password, caller id veryfication, call back a.s.o

Than you can split your network into two regions, simply safed with your firewall
between, one with access for the RAS  (simple one NIC more in your FW) where you
have your servers for this access.
You should not use RAS without a good back-end solution for security - you have to
have a authentikations-server with single PWD.
You can using Shivas AccessManager which including RADIUS/TACACS-Server and
the VASCO-Authentikationserver with support for Soft/Hardtoken based on
challenge/response authentikation.
Or you can using any other authentikation like CryptoCard or Safeword or may by
SecureID (which is the lowest secure of)