Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Fwd: Silly Question Time

From: "Christopher J. Wargaski" <cjw () rmsbus com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:14:08 -0500

Hey Kenny--

        I don't think that this is a silly question. However,
the responses might start the old "which is better, bash
or tcsh?" flame war I used to see in school. ;-)

        IMHO, the answer is "It depends." For a small firm
that does not have all that much traffic, let the firewall do
it all, anti virus scanner, VPN end point, etc. Just make
sure that the machine can handle the load.

        If this is a large company with quite a bit of traffic,
off-load the work to a separate server and don't bog down
the firewall.

        I am from the old school to recommend that a
router should route, a server should serve, and a firewall
should . . . well you get the idea.

        BTW, I use both tcsh AND bash.

                                        cjw

do you put antivirus s/w on the FW itself?
i know nothing is processed, etc., etc. &
i know about cvp, etc.

the question is more of a 'is this done in the industry'?

thanx (let the bashing begin :~)
kennyw

Christopher J. Wargaski
RMS Information Technology Integration