Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: What's the deal with SSH? (was: PIX software release 5.2)

From: "Barry Dykes" <barry () onesec net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:24:39 -0500

        To be more specific, an Ethernet switch learns it's forwarding tree based on
the source MAC address of incoming packets.  A switch will also use the last
learned location of a MAC address.  In other words, if you know the MAC of the
machine that you wish to receive traffic for, you just send an Ethernet frame
anywhere with that same MAC address as the source address.  The switch will then
forward all traffic destined to that MAC out to the new port (you).
        Also, according to the RFC (826 I think), all hosts must update their ARP
caches with the last known ARP update.  This means that simply sending an ARP
packet out with the same IP address and different MAC should make the router
(layer 3) device then send traffic to the new MAC address as well as all other
hosts who heard the ARP broadcast!  Some boxes don't conform to the RFC - but
they are supposed to.
        So, there are two simple methods to get traffic in an Ethernet environment at
the least.  Never trust a protocol that was based broadcast discovery ;-)

Barry