Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW: nmap fun

From: "LeGrow, Matt" <Matt_LeGrow () NAI com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:36:15 -0700

Bret,

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here.  If you attempted to
route a TCP connect request through a Gauntlet firewall and an
application proxy was listening on that port, one of several things
could happen : if you were permitted to connect to the proxy, but
not allowed to connect to the host, it would respond with a
"destination denied" message.  If you were not permitted to connect
to the proxy, then you would be bounced and receive a message
stating that you are not allowed to use the proxy.

If there was no proxy listening on that port, the Gauntlet would
respond with "ICMP Destination Unreachable" and the connection
would be dropped immediately, or the connection request would time
out eventually if that ICMP were blocked at some point on its way
back to your machine.  Unless you are doing packet forwarding there
is no way to route that connection beyond the firewall, and in that
case, its a bad configuration.

Matt LeGrow
Network Associates, Inc.
Note : Opinions expressed herein are most certainly NOT that of my