Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: firewall-wizards digest, Vol 1 #79 - 2 msgs appliance firewall

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () enternet se>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:09:12 +0200

Paul Gerry wrote:

It's always interesting to see what people call an appliance.
[huge snip]

Just because it apparently needs to be said again...

It is considered good taste to add little disclaimers in
emails like these. For instance: "I work for Netscreen, an
appliance-style firewall vendor" could have been appropriate here.

Oh, by the way, something I've been curious to know...
If your firewall is "hardware only", how do you handle
upgrades? I mean, firewalls are best-effort solutions
that need to be upgraded frequenelty in order to counter new
threats. If, on the other hand, you're able to upgrade the
firmware, doesn't that make your "appliance" firewall another
case of a pre-packaged computer (albeit with an uncommon
CPU), running software that does packet filtering? :)

(Yes, I know, this is pure flame bait ;))

Regards,
Mikael Olsson

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46 (0)660 29 92 00         Direct: +46 (0)660 29 92 05