Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Air Gap info from Whale's founder

From: "Paz" <ariel () sys-security com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:09:14 +0200

As the founder of Whale Communications, and the original architect of the
e-Gap System, I would like to share with you some of the design
considerations we had while developing the product.
But before I dive into the technical issues, let me just briefly comment on
the definition issue that keeps popping up in this discussion. I do not
believe marketing issues such as names of categories should be a major
concern in a technical newsgroup as this one but let me assure you that the
differences from a security standpoint between the e-Gap System and a
typical (lets say Check Point) firewall are much greater than the
differences between such a firewall and a router. So if you agree on the
distinction between the firewall category and the router category, you
should have no problem accepting the Air Gap category.

Weal, as BRM already took the bait and believes this idea I truly don't know
why you try to market it with a technical mailing list that DOES KNOW the
difference between a firewall and a router. You do try to elegantly pass the
notion that a firewall is a packet filter (checking only IP, port numbers
and a tad of session state??). Please give us some credit! As you wrote we
don’t need any marketing here - 3 well written pages that only praise your
product looks to me like marketing.
To be technical, the theory is very nice. BUT I still pay for your
programming and design skills in bringing the IP packet from one side of the
device to the other. The only added value is YOUR implementation and logic
of TCP/IP reassembly. Did you really follow all the RFC's to the letter, or
did you have a deadline for your investors. Just writing "DF bit doesn’t
work here" won’t pass the exam.

Paz
www.sys-security.com