Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: General security question

From: Todd Joseph <todd () connactivity connactivity com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:07:21 -0500

Depending on the data you are transferring, Rsync
(http://rsync.samba.org) over SSH may be better than SCP or FTP.

SCP and FTP don't work well for updating data frequently as each
transfer will exchange all data -- changed or not.  Rsync will only
transfer changed data.  For large files, it will only transfer the
portion(s) of the file that have changed.  Since it can run over SSH,
it has the added security value that makes SCP more attractive than
FTP.

I've found rsync to be a big win when I'm working with a client who is
insistent that they need to share filesystems for "timely update of
data."  One client is updating 2+GB of data in less than 5 minutes using
rsync over SSH (yes, most of the data is unchanging -- but the
location of the changes is always different).

Rsync also runs on Win32 (with the cygwin library).  It's free, ships
with RedHat, and is built for most of the interesting OS's.  No, I'm
not a salesman... :)

Todd
--------
TDyson () sybex com wrote:
We are debating communication protocols: sockets connection or ftp.

I'd strongly recommend you look at using SSH and SCP (Secure Copy)
It doesn't have FTP's horrible security properties and it provides link
level encryption and public keys as an option. There are free versions
available for download, so it's hard to beat the price. See www.openssh.org
for details.

mjr.

---
Marcus J. Ranum     Chief Technology Officer, NFR Security, Inc.
Work: http://www.nfr.com
Play: http://pubweb.nfr.net/~mjr