Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: user based IP address assginment

From: Cliff Skolnick <cliff () steam com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 17:19:11 -0800 (PST)

How about using VPN technology (even RAS will do the trick).  You get
assigned a private IP address via DHCP, then when you authenticate to the
VPN solution you get your real IP address and access to the real network?
The downside to this that comes to mind is performance loss.  Run some tests
to make sure the performance loss is acceptable for you before rolling this
out.

Sure this will use a few more CPU cycles so it may require some more
hardware, but you will get something that is less hackish and you can even
call for support.  VPN solutions can also keep good logs, so you may get
report generation capability as a bonus.

Cliff