Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: dmz question

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 23:38:02 -0600

If feasible, don't allow ANY connection back into the INTERNAL NETWORK. Is
it possible to put a "read-only" copy of the DB in the DMZ along with the
app server (maybe even on the app server, if you can't afford a separate
box)? Then refresh the read-only copy from a job initiated on the DB server
on your internal network. Then, if your read-only copy of the DB gets
hacked, just refresh from the "secured" copy.  If you have to propagate
writes back to the internal DB, then things get a bit more complicated.

Just another way to approach it, if you have the luxury of read-only copy.

Jeff