Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: latest firewall tools for linux

From: Gareth Jones <gareth () uberdog net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:22:13 +0000

On Sat, 13 May 2000 18:12:09 -0400, you wrote:

I never understand these questions, or these answers. "The security of
your system is entirely dependant on the ability of the administrator to
secure and maintain that system". *BSD is no more secure than any Linux
distro, in the hands of the right person.

Is that really so? The OpenBSD team I believe audited all of the
source code for security problems. I'm not aware of any linux distro
having undergone such a process. This surely counts for something.

Also, the original poster asked about hardened linux distros - I
understand that to mean a distro that is securely (or at least "more
securely") configured by default. Again, OpenBSD is intended to be
securely configured out of the box, unlike many linux distros that
have many daemons running by default.

Obviously, the skill of the sysadmin is hugely important - but I think
it is still reasonable to say that some OSs are more secure than
others.

Gareth