Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: personal firewalls

From: Jeff B Boles <jboles () libfungrp com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:39:45 -0600

Having just popped into the list from a long neglect, I'll forward this old
mail where I was collecting personal firewall products.  Believe one or two
(can't remember which, haven't looked in a while) may not be so personal,
except in so far as you consider the large amount of money required as
personal.

I'll add the couple from this discussion.
JB.
====================
Having had more traffic generated by several original threads focused around
low-cost neophyte maintainable security/firewall solutions for home users,
I'm again posting a summary to include these updates.  I have no particular
interest in any particular device, and I certainly have not thoroughly
investigated any of these.  Certainly mention in this post is no form of
recommendation.  Those silly enough to take anything I say as
recommendation, can certainly contact me at soonest convenience, so that we
might do business involving large sums of money ;)

If any suggestions are erroneously missing from this list, please notify me,
and I will update it.  Given the proper amount of whimsy, I may someday put
this list on a webpage -- but those holding their breath may experience
discomfort.

Updates to list:
---gibson research www.grc.com (web based security hole scanner, doesn't
really belong, but I'll give in to enthusiasm)
---netopia 7100 dsl router
---www.sustworks.com Mac firewall/routing?
---Dlink ISDN router with filter --
http://www.dlink.com/products/routers/di300mw/
---www.sygate.com (syshield for under $40?)
---IB2Lan from Nexland (NAT type device?)
http://www.isb100.com/html/isb2l.html (currently site does not come up)

Previous entries:
---Gnatbox (www.gnatbox.com) (appears to be a free version in gnatbox lite
or gblite)
---Black Ice Defender (http://www.networkice.com/Products/BlackICE/)
---SyShield (desktop version of Sygate?) (www.sygate.com)
---AtGuard (www.atguard.com) [owned by Norton now, as SecurityWorks
(maybe?)]
-Collection of small portblocking/detection security apps [not recommended]
(i.e. BOF, Nukenabber, etc.)
Hardware NAT/Modem sharing (something by 3com?  More expensive, $200 - $300
range)
        ---3com
        ---Umax Ugate 3000
        ---DSL Router with filter? DLink?
        ---Cisco DSL 675 modem (suspect this device might have many more
filtering features, in use by USWest?)

JB.