Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ - the physical layer

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:44:56 -0500

2000-03-13-12:57:54 Aaron D. Turner:
Not sure if it is still true, but Bay Swiches used to have a
problem enforcing VLAN's when two ports had the same client MAC
(as often is the case of Sun's).

This can be a major security problem.  Cisco I know doesn't have
this problem, but most security people will argue against using
VLAN's for security.  Most peole recommend different physical
switches.

Ciscos have had troubles with packet leakage in strange
circumstances as well; I seem to recall something about being able
to unilaterally turn your switch port into an ISL port or something
like that.

I've checked this opinion with a techie at a major switch vendor,
and they enthusiastically liked my statement: VLANs are a
performance optimization, designed to help decrease the size of a
broadcast domain to a fraction of a switch. They are intended to
help improve flexibility, allowing the user to have multiple
isolated broadcast domains in a single physical switch; with the
high early price-per-port of switches, and the limited numbers of
distinct sizes (e.g. 8-port, 12-port, 16-port, 32-port), being able
to carve a larger switch up into VLANs was a big help for customers
pricing reasonable configs, while trying to keep their traffic
organized for performance reasons. But VLANs were always and solely
a performance hack. Leaking packets between isn't a design failure
of a VLAN unless the leakage consists of enough packets to have a
performance impact. For security barriers, use separate boxes, or
boxes like routers that are designed to make guarantees about
packets only going to the right place.

-Bennett