Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ - the physical layer

From: Carl Friedberg <friedberg () exs esb com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 03:13:21 -0500

The use of VLAN's at the border doesn't make sense to me, but I've never had
the situation come up. The first thought to cross my mind: this
configuration (multiple separate LANS off a firewall, e.g. a web (DMZ) net;
a business-partner's net, and the variou corporate nets; couldn't pass a
serious security audit without physically separate wiring. That's just my
off-the-top-of-the-head assessment, but I wouldn't propose this. VLANs are
fine for performance optimizations, but I wouldn't suggest using them for
securing a perimeter. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not familiar with NetGear; I wouldn't try it with Cabletron (formerly
DEC) or HP ProCurves; but those are pretty cheap (24 ports around $1,200 or
so)

Carl () comets com