Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Binding inetd to ip

From: "Ewing, Timothy K." <Timothy.Ewing () celera com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:38:26 -0500

Is it possible to bind inetd to a specific ip address/ethernet card under
linux?  I haven't been able to find any info myself, but the reason I
ask is because I currently am running a nameserver that has two network
cards.

Probably not without hacking inetd. I belive it does a bind to 0.0.0.0,
which effectively >means "bind to all IPs on the system." You'd have to
change it to bind to a specific >interface, which is probably not all that
difficult to do.

I was faced with a similar problem/desire on a home firewall (Linux RH 6.1
and TIS FWTK)
and I remember reading about a program several years ago (the development of
it has picked
up lately) called xinetd.  Xinetd uses a file called xinetd.conf and has a
little script called "itox" to convert inetd.conf syntax to xinetd.conf
syntax.  It is used to bind
specific services to IP addresses.  So for example I have all my proxies for
the FWTK bound
to the internal interface, and nothing for the external.  Go the following
site to get
source and information.

        http://synack.net/xinetd

--