Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Real Audio Security

From: ark () eltex ru
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:03:13 +0300

nuqneH,

Socks (and remote sockets interface as an idea) is a very special kind
of thing. Actually it has little to do with security (IMHO), but used widely
as security tool providing false sense of security that is highly dangerous.

Most people think "i have a firewall that supports socks protocol, so i
just enable it in my applications and everything works!".

Actually it is close to having no firewall at all (except you
can use private IPs). The only difference
is that you have remote sockets calls instead of local ones. All your
protection is application-based and if your application is not written
properly, you're in danger. So if some stupid piece of software binds a
port to listen incoming connections, it can do. If there is a buffer
overflow in it, you are owned.

Countermeasures?

Socks5 rfc advises that there should be a "control" connection to the
same server to permit reverse-connections to an allocated port. It is
not strictly followed in most implementations, AFAIR. And it will break
things like irc dcc and some other "client-client" thingies.

Restricting dangerous operations like bind? So say goodbye to all those
multimedia protocols. Socks will offer no more functionality than NAT does.

Writing crafty rulesets who is allowed and what to do, maybe in conjunction
with IP filtering? Maybe, maybe. . I doubt you like it, but if you have
no choice, then. .

A few notes on "socks" authentication. (Summary: forget it). "ident" should
not be called authentication at all and username/password one is based on
cleartext interaction. Stronger authentication options are available for
kerberized environment only and even if someone is willing to use socks
in kerberized environment they are not supported by most clients.

So - i prefer a good old appliction level firewall that knows every
protocol it allows to pass through. Still willing to use socks, eh?

"Moore, James" <James.Moore () MSFC NASA GOV> said :

Got any details on the weaknesses or specific exploits re Socks?

Jim Moore
256.461.4381

----------- PGP PUBLIC KEY FINGERPRINT ------------
1D9C 3AC3 34E6 EEDF 22B9  7886 7797 6908 048F 049B