Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls - ITSEC Rating?

From: Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 14:29:12 -0600

At 08:30 AM 02/03/2000 -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

I'm sure that many on this list will be shocked to hear me say
this, but the ICSA firewall product certification is orders of
magnitude more valuable to real customers than ITSEC evaluation.

The Common Criteria is supposed to fix this problem by defining "Protection
Profiles" that establish functional requirements for particular types of
products. There are two firewall profiles already, with more on the way.
The first two aren't much use to most firewall customers because the
requirements are 'way too abstract. You could build all sorts of arcane
devices that meet the criteria while remaining steadfastly useless for most
security purposes. At least a hub is useful for something.

Rick.