Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Linux Proxy Server ?

From: "Matt Bruce" <matt.bruce () alphawest com au>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:49:14 +0800

Troy,

It's an excellent solution as a proxy cache, and has the ability to use ACLs
for a degree of security, but I wouldn't implement it if you've been hooked
into the Microsoft sales guff that says that a proxy server is a
firewall/security solution. Nor would I use it in a situation that requires
user authentication (e.g. an environment where some users have WWW access
and others don't). You could add some ipfwadm/ipchains packet filtering
rules for increased security, too.

I think there's a Squid HOWTO available, and there should be a few resources
about the place that tell you how to do a "best practice" install of a Squid
cache, but I don't know where you'd get them from. Let me know when you find
them, and remember that TCO isn't just the cost of software and hardware. :)

HTH,

Matt Bruce     <matt.bruce () alphawest com au>
Security & Internet Engineer
AlphaWest - http://www.alphawest.com.au/
"Illegitimus non carborundum est." :)