Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Messenger services

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:54:05 -0500

At 09:27 AM 12/18/00 -0600, sim wrote:
I am trying to stop Messenger services (AOL Messenger and MSN Messenger.
Any others?) to and from my network.  Is this possible with ipchains i.e.
block the ports they use?

AIM (don't know about MSN Messenger) has an autoconfig setting and it will try various ports. The well known servers have AIM servers running all over the place. For example on my home firewall (WatchGuard SOHO) I block most everything outbound. I allowed TCP/13 (daytime) which atomtime uses (inexpensive s/w to sync time with NIST). AIM will happily use port 13 to connect to an AIM server. (I have teenagers at home...)

Is there any other way?

Tell people not to do it or they'll be fired?

Fred
Avolio Consulting, Inc.
16228 Frederick Road, PO Box 609, Lisbon, MD 21765, US
+1 410-309-6910 (voice) +1 410-309-6911 (fax)
http://www.avolio.com/