Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Messenger services

From: Jim Littlefield <little () hks com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:24:57 -0500

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 09:27:50AM -0600, sim wrote:
I am trying to stop Messenger services (AOL Messenger and MSN Messenger.
Any others?) to and from my network.  Is this possible with ipchains i.e.
block the ports they use?  Is there any other way?
I am using a Sparc machine running Redhat 6.2 kernel 2.2.17 w/ ipchains.
How would I go about doing this?

AOL is easy; just block all traffic to aim.aol.com. Note that that
currently is defined to be:

% host aim.aol.com
aim.aol.com has address 205.188.148.180
aim.aol.com has address 205.188.147.113
aim.aol.com has address 205.188.147.114
aim.aol.com has address 205.188.148.181

--
Jim Littlefield              "If all the nations in the world are
                              in debt, where did all the money