Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP blocking on PIX .4.4.1

From: Adam Olson <adamo () quaartz com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

  I've configured my upstream router to permit outbound icmp echos on the
serial interface and to permit inbound icmp ttl-exceeded/echo-replies on
the same int....

  Couldn't you add ACL rules on the PIX to do the same thing
without opening yourself up this type of DoS?  You'd be using source and
destination IPs to determine what's inbound and outbound...the only rule
that I'd be concerned about is permitting icmp echos from internal_ip
destined to any, but this wouldn't be a problem provided ingress filtering
has been applied.

  Let me know :)

  Adam