Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ICMP blocking on PIX .4.4.1

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:29:40 -0400 (EDT)

look at the tcp version of traceroute, and perhaps seekout hping2.

though you are going to want to restrict access to those tools...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 phred () pacificwest com wrote:

Yesterday our site underwent a Smurf attack which we quickly stopped by blocking ICMP traffic through the firewall.
I have a need to perform tracerouts from inside to the outside through the PIX firewall (v 4.4.1.)  Is there a way to
allow ping and traceroute from inside to outside and still defend against smurf like attacks?